The Haven is excited to share a month of awesome awareness-raising events and projects. Sexual Assault Awareness Month is an opportunity to raise awareness and increase community engagement around preventing sexual violence. Our community events will focus on how everyone can embrace their voice to help create a safer, healthier community. By working together, we can change the attitudes and beliefs that support sexual aggression, while continuing to support survivors of sexual assault. Join us in our advocacy efforts, and don’t forget to wear teal every Tuesday this month. There are other simple ways to raise awareness and show your support, consider these ideas:
1. Kick-off Campaign: Paint the town TEAL on April 3rd! Show your support by wearing teal. We are encouraging individuals, businesses and communities to wear teal on April 3rd and every Tuesday throughout the entire month of April. Post your teal photos for our SAAM campaign on Facebook or Instagram. Make sure to use the hashtag #GeauxTealforSAAM and tag @thehavenhelps in your Instagram post.
2. Community Events: Participate in one of The Haven’s informational sessions this month. There are several community sessions being held throughout the three parishes – Terrebonne, Lafourche and Assumption (click parish for more information).
3. Rock Teal All Month: Wear a teal ribbon throughout the month as a sign of support for Sexual Assault Awareness Month.
4. Make A Statement: Observe Denim Day on Wednesday, April 25th. By wearing denim on April 25th, you can show support for victims and protest against the misconceptions/myths that surround sexual assault. Find out more about the purpose and history of Denim Day on www.denimdayinfo.org.
5. Learn More About Sexual Assault: Attend our monthly Lunch and Learn educational series. Our next event will be held on April 27th at the First United Methodist Church in Houma from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm. For more information, email Melissa Williams at email@example.com.
6. Join Our Prevention Coalition: Sexual violence effects everyone! Become an active participant in our quarterly coalition as we mobilize the community toward the elimination and prevention of sexual violence by changing the norms, beliefs, and policies that allow sexual violence perpetration to continue. Our next Tri-Parish Primary Prevention Coalition meeting will be April 20, 2018 at the Napoleonville Library (293 Napoleon Ave., Napoleonville, LA) from noon to 1:00pm. For more information, email Melissa Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aside from the many awesome events we have planned, there are also a few projects you can join in on from the comfort of your home or while on the go. So whether you’re in your pajamas with a laptop or out-and-about with your smartphone, check out how you can get involved…
1. Enter the SAAM Instagram Contest: The National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC) is hosting a #30DaysofSAAM contest on Instagram. Each day in April, post a photo that reflects the day’s prompt for your chance to win a SAAM prize. Have your entire office, friends or business to show how they support the SAAM campaign or make it a competition. Either way, participation serves as a great way to be involved with the cause. Make sure to use the hashtag #30DaysofSAAM. Also, tag @NSVRC and @thehavenhelps in your post.
2. Use Your Voice: The simplest way to participate in SAAM is to talk about it. Tell your friends, post on your social media, and make an impact. Let us know how you’re taking a stand against violence via Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Community Events & Trainings
The 20th Annual “Home Is Where The Heart Is” Spring Gala was held on Saturday, March 17, 2018, at the Houma-Terrebonne Civic Center.
Residents from the surrounding area attended the memorable charity event presented by Watkins, CPA. The event raised critical funds for the agency. The evening provided an opportunity for guests to mingle, dance, sample cuisines from neighboring restaurants, bid on a variety of silent and live auction items.
The Haven truly appreciates everyone involved in making the Spring Gala a huge success. We would like to thank the Board of Directors, sponsors, restaurants, businesses, gourmet-to-go cooks, guests,
and volunteers. Without you, our work could not continue.
20th Annual Spring Gala Photo Gallery
Domestic Violence Crisis Line: 1 (800) 915-0045
Sexual Assault Crisis Line: 1 (800) 777-8868
20th Annual Spring Gala Recap